Firefighters put their lives on the line to protect the public in times of emergency. These brave men and women are among the most selfless of our public servants. For everything they do to serve our community, firefighters in Ohio are eligible to receive a special discounted rate when applying for a home loan.
Firefighters and other first responders, members of the US armed services, teachers, and members of certain other service careers can apply for a mortgage through The Ohio Housing Finance Agency’s (OHFA) Ohio Heroes program. This special program exists to provide public servants throughout the state of Ohio with reduced mortgage interest rates.
To qualify for an Ohio Heroes mortgage, potential borrowers must meet the following criteria:
- Must meet income and purchase price limits.
- Must meet debt to income ratios for your loan type.
- Must meet credit score requirements.
- Conventional, USDA, VA and FHA 203(k) Loans: 640 credit score or higher
- FHA Loans (Non-203(k)): 660 credit score or higher
- Must work in one of the following careers:
- Firefighters, police officers, volunteer firefighters, EMTs and paramedics
Homebuyers who choose an Ohio Heroes loan can also receive down payment assistance through the program. This assistance is forgiven after seven years of homeownership. Should the purchaser sell or refinance the home within seven years, the full amount of the assistance must be repaid.
First Ohio Home Finance is one of the top lenders of Ohio Heroes loans, giving you the benefit of our extensive experience when you apply. If you’re a firefighter in Ohio interested in one of these loans, or you would simply like to know more, please contact the mortgage experts at First Ohio Home Finance today!